The CINCH consortium developed a hands-on training course for how to use NucWik. It is a 3-4 hour "hands-on" seminar aiming at
- making teachers aware of the NucWik feature and it's possibilities,
- instruct them on some typical ways to use material from NucWik in Nuclear- and Radiochemistry (NRC) teaching , and
- to give them basic knowledge and practice on how to upload material and actively contribute to the NucWik database.
The course will run for 3-4 hours with an option to be extended with a more advanced hand-on session (thus expanding it into a full-day course).
If you would like such a course to be arranged at your instituttion or in connection a an event, please contact Prof. Jon Petter Omtvedt
at the University of Oslo to discuss details and conditions.
The outline of the course is as following:
- Session A: Introduction:
- Lesson 1: Welcome and introduction to CINCH (15 min)
- Lesson 2: The NucWik concept (15 min):
- What is a Wiki (video + explanation/comparison to Wikipedia).
- The idea behind NucWik – sharing NRC teaching material.
- Hands-on – A first look at NucWik (15 min):
- Is login needed?
- How do I navigate/find topics/material?
- Session B: Using material from NucWik in your own teaching:
- Lesson 1: How NucWik is organized and the quality control concept (20 min):
- NucWik structure and the use of tags to classify pages.
- Quality control concept "CINCH approved".
- Hands-on – Find exercises suitable for a 2 hour colloquium on a topic that interests you. Put together a "solved problems" hand-out to go with the exercise (20 min).
- Hands-on – Find laboratory instructions for a student exercise on mother-daughter relationship and radionuclide generators (20 min).
- Lesson 2: Providing feedback and pointing out faults and errors in provided materia. Short introduction (10 min)
- Hands-on - Learn how to provide feedback (using the page comment feature of wikispaces) (20 min).
- Session C: Contributing material to NucWik
- Lesson 1: Getting a user name and logging on (10 min)
- Hands-on: Get a user name (10 min).
- Hands-on: Perform the "Wikispaces Training Camp" exercise (to be found at https://help.wikispaces.com/training+camp) to learn how to do basic editing, including uploading pictures and files (15 min).
- Lesson 2: How to organize your material and how to integrate it into existing material (15 min).
- Lesson 3: How to work together with other NucWik contributors (10 min).
- Session D: (Optional): Uploading your own material
- Hands-on: In this session teachers, which prior to the course have been encouraged to bring their own teaching material, will be guided through the process of uploading and making their material available on NucWik (1-2 hours).
A course consisting of Session A-C will last for 45 + 90 + 60 minutes; breaks can be added between the three sessions as fitting. For a more advanced course session D can be added (probably after a lunch break) and will typically bring the course to a full day event. Alternatively, Session A-C can be run for everybody in a group and Session D offered for those "specially interested".
Power-point files and other material used for the course is provided below: